Benevolent Media Contact
- Benevolent is a crowdfunding site that lets anyone make microdonations to help low-income individuals overcome one-time economic hurdles
- The Benevolent site launched December 1, 2011 in a Chicago-area pilot and has since begun to scale nation-wide
- The average Benevolent donation is $50
- The average amount of a funded need through the Benevolent site is $470
- Needs supported through Benevolent have included: beds, winter clothing, work uniforms, transportation passes, security deposits, eyeglasses, certifications, and computers
Benevolent In The News
- Aug 8, 2014 Clinton Global Initiative - Helping Individuals Eclipse Poverty, One Barrier at a Time...
- July 22, 2014 Spotlight on Poverty and Opportunity - The Not So Silent Barriers to Eclipsing Poverty
- April 17, 2014 Chronicle of Philanthropy - How Nonprofits Use Crowdfunding to Attract Support...
- March 14, 2014 HLN - Woman gets help for education from strangers
- March 14, 2014 NationSwell - SXSW: How Benevolent Gives a Voice to People Who Aren't Usually...
- Dec 31, 2013 HLN - A Sister's Wish is Granted
- Dec 3, 2013 MSNBC - Charity Connects Donors Directly to the Needy
- Nov 6, 2013 The New Yorker - New Help for the Poor: Cash Grants, Through a Web Site
- Oct 6, 2013 Chronicle of Philanthropy - New Charity Helps Poor People Get Small Sums Online...
- May 28, 2013 Fast Company - A Platform to Help People Out of Poverty, Step by Step
- May 13, 2013 Mashable - Benevolent is like Kiva for the Silicon Valley's Working Poor
- May 11, 2013 MSNBC - It's Not Charity - It's Community, Says the Founder of Benevolent
- May 7, 2013 About.com - Grants Expand Crowdfunding Site for People Down on Their Luck
- Dec 5, 2012 Crain's Chicago Business - Megan Kashner Takes Benevolent Giving to the Next Level
Click here for more media coverage